Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Skill and Sacrifice

Around here, large things happen fast. Since coming to the camp, I've been amazed by the scale of the construction and remodeling projects and the speed with which they get done. This speed is something that would not be possible without the skill and sacrifice of volunteers such as the Texas Baptist Men, Mobile Missionary Assistance Program (MMAP), Campers on Mission and Sowers. These folks descend upon Camp Tejas during the retreat season like a small swarm of bees and things start happening. They don't like to stand still for a moment and part of my job is to make sure they have something to do and the materials to do it. This has been a learning process for me because they seem to get done with things so quickly.

Retreat, for me, is so much of what I see around me. The ability to relax in mind is deeply affected by what I see. These servants are making a tremendous difference in what our guests see. So much has been done already this season to improve the appearance of the camp. From paint at Four Seasons to outdoor lighting and sprinkler systems across the Meadows Retreat Center; from repaired masonry at the main camp to trash can covers all over the place.

The transient nature of their service -moving from one project to the next and spending so much time away from home- is inspiring to me. I hope that I have the energy and means to serve in this way if the opportunity comes. Thank you, volunteers. Thank you all for your service to Him and your help to us.

Mike Newton, Facilities Director

"Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."
Matt 6:19-21 (KJV)