Sunday, January 04, 2009

Trash that's not so.....trashy



Just at the end of summer Paul, the Retreat Director, and I had been talking about what we could do to get some trash recepticles that looked a little better. The atrium at Four seasons, for example, has been littered by something that most people take out to the curb -hardly fitting the motif of the meadows retreat center. Anyway, expense for such an unnecessary item was like an elephant in the room. So, as funny as it may seem, I occasionally prayed about it. I began to look on the internet and asked around to see if someone out there was getting rid of some better looking trash cans -the kind that are not made of plastic; that don't fall over and roll down the hill every time the wind blows; and my most desired feature.....racoons can't lift the lid.


Then, while at the recent directors retreat, it came to me. I scribbled out a little drawing and two talented guys on the maintenance staff, Matt and Jeff, whipped out the prototype. The next day volunteers reproduced it seven times. More have been made since and more are being made to replace the unsightliness of trash all over the camp.


My favorite part? The hinges for the lids are about six bucks a pair. The lumber, like so many other unique things around here, used. And the labor......you guessed it -volunteer.


I've got two words for the elephant, Paul. Cha and Ching. Yes, the Lord is involved in the small matters of men.




Mike Newton - Facilities Director